[Glibc-bsd-devel] packages not available with apt-get

Guischlouk guischlouk@yahoo.fr
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:27:48 +0100

Hi,

yesterday I wrote about packages.

Let me be more detailled (for one time ;)

Robert emailed me this after my first question about packages:

> > for a package that is not get by apt,
> > does it mean that it has not been ported yet ? or just that I have
> > to take the original one ?
>
> It depends, (what is the apt message?) normaly it means the package has not
> been compiled into our archive.
>
> When you run into this, try to build it yourself [1]. If the package builds
> cleanly (i.e, doesn't need porting work), send us a note and we'll build and
> add it to the archive.
>
> If there are build errors, try fixing them. In case of doubts, etc, ask in
> the mailing list. If you can produce a patch that fixes the package you
> can send it to the mailing list for review and then to Debian BTS [2].
>
> We're preparing a porting document with basic instructions on GNU/KFreeBSD
> porting that will probably be of help to you.
>
> [1] I assume you're familiar with Debian and its package source tools, e.g:
>   download souces -> apt-get source <pkg>
>   build sources -> dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo -B
>
> [2] see http://bugs.debian.org/, or better, use the "reportbug" utility

So, i was looking at the libconsole package (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libconsole.html)
and i have done the step one.

It's worked properly, but when I've tried to install it with a dpkg -i it answered
that this package was not for the freebsd-i386 architecture.

So, I RTFMed and I try another time with:
 dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo -B -afreebsd-i386

it also compiled well

But, I had an dependencie error at this install with the package libc6.

Finally, i tried to compile the libc6 package with the same way
but it returned me that:
"
checking host system type... i386-pc-freebsd
*** The GNU C library is currently not available for this platform.
*** So far nobody cared to port it and if there is no volunteer it
*** might never happer. So, if you have interest to see glibc on
*** this platform visit
***	http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/porting.html"

That's why I ask about using the glibc-bsd (and it appears that
i am totally wrong and lost ;)
I paste you the part in my previous e-mail about that(with robert's answers):

> > One question, for the packages who depends on the libc6,
>
> Do you mean "libc6", or "libc6-dev"? Teoricaly, only linux-gnu binary
> packages should depend on "libc6". As for "libc6-dev" there's the common
> error of hardcoding its dependency, and should be replaced by
> "libc6-dev | libc-dev". Tell us the particular case you found if in doubt.
>
> > you have to take the
> > glibc-bsd ?
>
> What do you mean with that?

Someone to teach me ?