[Glibc-bsd-devel] packages not available with apt-get

Robert Millan zeratul2@wanadoo.es
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:03:21 +0100

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 12:27:48PM +0100, Guischlouk wrote:

> So, i was looking at the libconsole package (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libconsole.html)
> and i have done the step one.

That package won't work on GNU/KFreeBSD. It's Linux-specific (see its
description). For GNU/KFreeBSD, there's Nathan's "freebsd-consutils" package
which should probably solve the mapping issue for you. I don't know how it
works, though.

> It's worked properly, but when I've tried to install it with a dpkg -i it answered
> that this package was not for the freebsd-i386 architecture.

As said in the other mail, you can't install packages with GNU/Linux binaries
on a GNU/KFreeBSD system ;).

The _all.deb packages can be installed though, but apt-get is already
configured to fetch these. So if apt-get fails, you have to build something.

> Finally, i tried to compile the libc6 package with the same way
> but it returned me that:
> "
> checking host system type... i386-pc-freebsd

Urgh. That triplet is wrong, it should print "i386-pc-kfreebsd-gnu".

If you got this when running GNU/Linux, it doesn't matter. But when compiling
stuff on GNU/KFreeBSD, make sure the following command:

  "dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM"

prints "kfreebsd-gnu". Printing the wrong triplet may produce broken packages,
so if it doesn't, edit /usr/bin/dpkg-architecture and fix it manualy.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)