[Glibc-bsd-devel] packages not available with apt-get

Nathan Hawkins utsl@quic.net
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:47:59 -0500

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 07:03:21PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 12:27:48PM +0100, Guischlouk wrote:
> >
> > So, i was looking at the libconsole package
> > (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libconsole.html) and i
> > have done the step one.
>
> That package won't work on GNU/KFreeBSD. It's Linux-specific (see its
> description). For GNU/KFreeBSD, there's Nathan's "freebsd-consutils" package
> which should probably solve the mapping issue for you. I don't know how it
> works, though.

It is documented in the manpages for the moment. All it actually
contains are the utilities to manage the console settings. You'll need
some files in /usr/share that aren't included yet. Best bet is to copy
them from a FreeBSD system.

I plan to change that at some point.

> > It's worked properly, but when I've tried to install it with a dpkg
> > -i it answered that this package was not for the freebsd-i386
> > architecture.
>
> As said in the other mail, you can't install packages with GNU/Linux binaries
> on a GNU/KFreeBSD system ;).
>
> The _all.deb packages can be installed though, but apt-get is already
> configured to fetch these. So if apt-get fails, you have to build something.

Robert is correct, you can't install i386 binaries directly on
freebsd-i386. dpkg won't allow that.

It is possible to install GNU/Linux binaries in a chroot. (Or even a
jail.) First, kldload linux. Second, install a tar made with
debootstrap. It does work, however some programs won't work due to
dependacies on things in the Linux kernel that FreeBSD doesn't emulate.
(ioctl's, particular devices, that kind of thing.) But it is sufficient
to run most things.

> > Finally, i tried to compile the libc6 package with the same way
> > but it returned me that:
> > "
> > checking build system type... i386-pc-linux-gnu
> > checking host system type... i386-pc-freebsd
>
> Urgh. That triplet is wrong, it should print "i386-pc-kfreebsd-gnu".
>
> If you got this when running GNU/Linux, it doesn't matter. But when compiling
> stuff on GNU/KFreeBSD, make sure the following command:
>
>   "dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM"
>
> prints "kfreebsd-gnu". Printing the wrong triplet may produce broken packages,
> so if it doesn't, edit /usr/bin/dpkg-architecture and fix it manualy.

dpkg-architecture hadn't been fixed in the binary package last I knew.

	---Nathan