GNU/kFreeBSD -vs- FreeBSD with Linux_base-debain?

todd todd@webpath.net
Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:14:31 -0400

I'm really intrigued by Glibc-based Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.

I suspect this may be similar to using the FreeBSD base system with the
Debian base set for the Linux mode package linux_base-debian?

I'm planning on trying a minimal 4.10 install then installing
linux_base-debian and using all linux apps to see how good of a desktop
system I can put together.

You see I love FreeBSD and wouldn't use anything else on a server,
however some basic support for desktop apps is lacking.  For instance,
to install Java you have to build the Linux JRE and build the native off
from it. Also working Flash support is about non-existent unless you use
a linux flash plugin wrapper.  I don't see a need to install the redhat
7.x linux base just for a few browser plugins and maybe Real Player.  So
I was looking for alternatives and running Debian on FreeBSD for the
desktop seemed a nice idea.

What would be the pros/cons of this compared to GNU/kFreeBSD?