GNU/kFreeBSD -vs- FreeBSD with Linux_base-debain?

Nicolas Souchu nsouch@free.fr
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:15:37 +0200

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 03:14:31PM -0400, todd wrote:
> I'm really intrigued by Glibc-based Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.
>
> I suspect this may be similar to using the FreeBSD base system with the
> Debian base set for the Linux mode package linux_base-debian?
>
> I'm planning on trying a minimal 4.10 install then installing
> linux_base-debian and using all linux apps to see how good of a desktop
> system I can put together.
>
> You see I love FreeBSD and wouldn't use anything else on a server,
> however some basic support for desktop apps is lacking.  For instance,
> to install Java you have to build the Linux JRE and build the native off
> from it. Also working Flash support is about non-existent unless you use
> a linux flash plugin wrapper.  I don't see a need to install the redhat
> 7.x linux base just for a few browser plugins and maybe Real Player.  So
> I was looking for alternatives and running Debian on FreeBSD for the
> desktop seemed a nice idea.
>
> What would be the pros/cons of this compared to GNU/kFreeBSD?

Do you have apt in the linux_base-debian?

I see one thing: with GNU/kFreeBSD you have all the benefit of the
Debian project and the FreeBSD kernel.

The ports are growing too fast and are not always all in sync.

One thing we won't have with any of the two solutions, is the
integration with kernel API. Video and sound are the perfect
examples. I rather believe Linux is yet superior regarding
multimedia apps.

--
Nicholas Souchu - nsouch@free.fr - nsouch@FreeBSD.org
http://www.freebsd.org/~nsouch/kgi4BSD