GNU/kFreeBSD -vs- FreeBSD with Linux_base-debain?

todd todd@webpath.net
Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:58:00 -0400

I went ahead and installed linux-base Debian last night on my production
FreeBSD 4.10 and in /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin and apt is there.

I tried the fiollowing (Note: apt-get is not an aliased command yet on
the FreeBSD install):

# cd /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin
# ./apt-get update

This updated the package list from the archive just fine.

I then tried installing the links text www browser.

# ./apt-get install links
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
  libgpmg1 liblua40 liblualib40
  libgpmg1 liblua40 liblualib40 links
0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 15  not upgraded.
Need to get 484kB of archives. After unpacking 1236kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main libgpmg1 1.19.6-12 [45.2kB]
Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main liblua40 4.0-4 [35.2kB]
Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main liblualib40 4.0-4 [22.2kB]
Get:4 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main links 0.96.20020409-2 [381kB]
Fetched 484kB in 2s (225kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package libgpmg1.
(Reading database ... 5335 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libgpmg1 (from .../libgpmg1_1.19.6-12_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package liblua40.
Unpacking liblua40 (from .../liblua40_4.0-4_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package liblualib40.
Unpacking liblualib40 (from .../liblualib40_4.0-4_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package links.
Unpacking links (from .../links_0.96.20020409-2_i386.deb) ...
Setting up libgpmg1 (1.19.6-12) ...

Setting up liblua40 (4.0-4) ...

Setting up liblualib40 (4.0-4) ...

Setting up links (0.96.20020409-2) ...

#

Next to try to run it...

# ./links
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Error: /proc must be mounted
  To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
      /proc   /proc   proc    defaults
  In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc

So I did a BOSS# mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /compat/linux/proc
(realizing that I forgot to moutn /proc) and then tried again.

And just got a core dump again.

OK, removed links with # ./apt-get remove links then installed lynx and
gave it a try:

# ./lynx

... and it worked fine. I browsed around and didn't have any problems.
Maybe the links package is hosed?

Next I might see if  I can get x installed and running from the debian base.