GNU/kFreeBSD -vs- FreeBSD with Linux_base-debain?

Robert Millan rmh@debian.org
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:45:52 +0200

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 11:24:50AM -0400, todd wrote:
> kfreebsd_base-debian sounds interesting but I would probably just rather
> run GNU/kFreeBSD instead.
>
> I think I'll try to spend some time this weekend and install GNU/kFreeBSD
> on a second hard drive and do a little performance testing against the
> debain linux base.
>
> I've been developing a modified rox desktop setup using color
> coordination and extending the "drag & drop" functionality to enable
> things like dragging an .iso to an icon to burn it, and so on.  I have
> worked on it with FreeBSD exclusively thus far but moving to
> GNU/kFreeBSD may make some of the desktop applications a bit easier to
> work with.

There are many desktop applications that still need building/porting. We
have the base libraries for GNOME/KDE already, but didn't bother to build
the GUI yet.

> The ultimate goal is to have a distro(sort of) that will install from a
> LiveCD.

We have a LiveCD for the base system. Look at
http://people.debian.org/~rmh/livecd/

--
Robert Millan

(Debra and Ian) (Gnu's Not (UNiplexed Information and Computing System))/\
(kernel of *(Berkeley Software Distribution))