[Glibc-bsd-devel] Updated install guide question

Robert Millan zeratul2@wanadoo.es
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:25:21 +0100

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 01:13:32AM +1100, Joshua Cummings wrote:
> I posted to debian-bsd a while ago about my GNU/KFreeBSD installation
> guide (http://jrac.host.sk/?page=gnukfreebsd).

Oh, didn't notice there. I found your site casualy (being pointed at it by
a fellow iirc). Remember to put (at least) glibc-bsd-devel list for all things
related to the Glibc-based ports.

> I recieved very helpful
> advice and altered the guide accordingly. One of the things I've changed
> is the fact that crosshurd is now the official installation method. I've
> only installed from the old tarball though, so I've added the guide's
> crosshurd information based on available docs/mail etc.

Note that crosshurd-installation is a bit broken currently due to minor bugs,
unfortunately, we're in the middle of an abi transition and it's not like my
time suffices to deal with these right now ;)

> Run the script and specify the tarball contents location. Make sure the
> only filesystems mounted are / and /dev before you run the script.
>
> # ./swap /gkf
>
> Now run the native-install script to finish configuration.
>
> # /native-install
>
> Is this correct? Or should native-install be run after you reboot into
> the new GNU system?

No, it should be:

 - untar in temporary directory (/gkf)
 - mount devfs in /gkf/dev
 - chroot into /gkf and run /native-install
 - umount devfs in /gkf/dev
 - swap

You can swap with either the swap script or from a rescue kFreeBSD-based
system (which is only FreeBSD for now). For the rescue CD, FreeBSD CD 2 would
do the job.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T., Ainulindale (Silmarillion)