linprocfs transition

Robert Millan rmh@debian.org
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:26:18 +0100

Hi!

We're switching to Linux-style procfs in kfreebsd-gnu.  This means we get
the stuff in procps and psmisc packages we didn't have.  It also means that
dpkg's start-stop-daemon now stops daemons reliably.  In addition, sysvinit's
killall5 should now really kill everything so no more problems with filesystems
not being unmounted during halt.

For those of you with already existing systems, you just need to:

  - Install procps and psmisc (freebsd-utils -11 no longer provides ps, killall
    or top)
  - Add a /proc entry to fstab.  The filesystem name is "linprocfs" and entry
    would look like this:

"null            /proc                   linprocfs rw            0       0"

New installations should work unaware of this since crosshurd is now fixed
(1.7.8) to setup procfs for systems that support it.

--
 .''`.   Proudly running Debian GNU/kFreeBSD unstable/unreleased (on UFS2+S)
: :' :