kFreeBSD and glibc DNS resolver

Aurelien Jarno aurelien@aurel32.net
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:04:08 +0100

Hi all,

I think almost everybody on this list is already aware of the glibc
resolver bug on GNU/kFreeBSD. In short the DNS resolver is not able to
resolve addresses if the nameserver is different than ::1.

The hack to fix that is to run totd listen on the localhost IPv6
address, itself using remote DNS servers.

There is another working solution, if you are on an IPv6 network and if
you can connect to IPv6 capable DNS servers.

Personnally, I have removed the totd package and have the following
setting:

[hertz:~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search aurel32.net
nameserver 2001:618:400:6439:2c1:26ff:fe09:d058
nameserver 2001:618:400:6439:250:22ff:fe8b:13ff

It seems to work, at least I haven't see any problem since I use that,
ie about 2 days (not really a long time). But it would be nice if other
persons could also try that solution.

That would mean that the DNS resolver bug is IPv4 specific.

Bye,
Aurelien

 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux developer | Electrical Engineer