alsa-lib - dep-waits on libasound2-dev

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Sun Nov 6 20:59:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 09:31:39PM +0100, Petr Salinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> It looks like libasound2-dev have one of the biggest dep-waits listed on
> http://unstable.buildd.net/buildd/kfreebsd_Dep-Wait.html
>
> Will be usefull to have something like dummy package, which will provide it ?
>
> I played litle bit with alsa-lib and with attached patch and
>     libtoolize --force
>     aclocal-1.7
>     autoconf
>     automake-1.7
> it can be compiled on GNU/kFreeBSD.
>
> It will not probably work at all with real hardware due to hacked ioctls.
> But it may help for some other packages like kaffe.
>
> What do you think about it ?

I'm not very convinced now that a dummy libasound would fix more problems than
it creates.  Most packages that use alsa check for its presence with either:

  - An explicit configure flag, e.g. --with-alsa, that often debian/rules
    enables unconditionaly.

  - A build time check for libasound headers.

In both cases, a dummy lib would make the package get runtime errors instead of
FTBFS.  At least with the latter, it's usualy trivial to fix it to use OSS.

--
Robert Millan