Can't start X twice

Konstantinos Koukopoulos kouk at noc.uoa.gr
Mon Nov 7 08:29:35 UTC 2005

On Sun 06 Nov 2005 23:00, you wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 11:36:28AM +0200, Konstantinos Koukopoulos wrote:
> > On Sun 06 Nov 2005 06:37, theblues gnr wrote:
> > > After I start X I can normally end the session from (for example) the
> > > window manager. After that, X won't start anymore until a reboot.
> > >
> > > Is this a known bug? If not I'll post the detailed errors.
> >
> > This happens with me as well, it is because of the sockets in
> > /tmp/.X11-unix. When I infrequently have to restart X I usually delete
> > this directory and X starts fine. Of course it is a bug, although I
> > haven't had time to track it down.
>
> Anyone knows if this bug happens on GNU/Linux too?

On my Debian GNU/Linux unstable it doesn't happen.

One difference is that on GNU/kfreebsd X creates a socket
called /tmp/.X11-unix/X  whereas on GNU/linux I get a socket
called /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 (both servers run on display 0). Apart from this
difference a casual glance of related files doesn't give me any other hint as
to what could be the problem. One more semi-exceptional thing is
that /tmp/.X11-unix has the sticky bit set.

Cheers,
Kostas Koukopoulos