Threading in the future?

Brian M. Carlson sandals at crustytoothpaste.ath.cx
Sat Nov 12 02:28:21 UTC 2005

I was browsing around glibc CVS, and I found that starting with version 2.4 of
glibc, LinuxThreads will be completely unsupported.  As a consequence, I
asked on libc-ports about possibly porting NPTL to GNU/kFreeBSD.  I got the
response that it doesn't seem like NPTL would work very well for GNU/kFreeBSD
kernel, due to Linux-specific assumptions.

Specifically, drow (Daniel Jacobowitz) said:
> A fully POSIX thread library for your port is a good idea, which
> LinuxThreads isn't.  However, I am skeptical about how much mileage you'll
> be able to get from NPTL without duplicating some of its interfaces in
> FreeBSD.

So, when glibc drops support for LinuxThreads, what should we do?  Use NPTL?
Use libkse/libpthread?  Use libthr?  Write something else?  Do something else
I haven't thought of?

When we have a consensus, I'll be happy to help implement it, but I'd like to
know what the plan will be first.

--
Brian M. Carlson <sandals at crustytoothpaste.ath.cx>
Running on GNU/kFreeBSD