Release Candidate for Ging 0.1.0

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Fri Oct 28 12:37:34 UTC 2005

Hi there!

I'd like to announce availability of the first Release Candidate for Ging 0.1.0.

*** Please *** don't announce this anywhere outside this list.  I'm only
providing a public pre-release for the sake of testing before we do the real
0.1.0 release!

This release is considerably improved in comparison with 0.0.2.  Rather than
explaining why I encourage you to have a look and see how speed, cleanness, and
lots other things have dramaticaly improved.

A nice screenshot:
  http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org/ging/screenshots/ging_0.1.0.rc1.png

Ging website:
  http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org/ging/

Image download:
  http://io.debian.net/~rmh/ging/pre-releases/0.1.0.rc1/

I intend to give a period for testing of roughly 1 week, then release 0.1.0 for
real and announce it everywhere else.  I would appreciate if everyone who's
reading this and has a test box to try Ging gives it a try and sends us
feedback by replying to the mail (to this list, don't send me private mail).
The following are the questions I'm mostly concerned with:

1. Does it boot till the login screen?  (if not, where and why does it stop..)
2. After you login as "ging", does X run with the default display driver (vesa)?
   If not, were you able to get it running with another one?
3. Is your soundcard detected?  (you should hear a sound when KDE is started)
4. If you are running it on a DHCP network, was your network setup automaticaly?
   Otherwise, was it possible to setup network manualy?
5. Does your mouse work?  Which kind of mouse it is?  (serial, ps/2, touchpad,
   usb..)
6. Did it boot fast? (should be ~5 mins on a modern box).  What is your RAM/cpu?

Thanks a lot for your time

--
Robert Millan