kfreebsd-amd64 ?

Petr Salinger Petr.Salinger at t-systems.cz
Sun Oct 30 14:42:39 UTC 2005

Hi all.

* according to popcon.debian.org amd64 is the 2nd most popular debian architecture despite being unofficial
* majority of currently produced i386-capable processors is also amd64-capable
* amd64 is fully supported in FreeBSD since release 5.2
* amd64 is fully supported in glibc 2.3.x series for Linux

Therefore, it might be both usefull and possible to create kfreebsd-amd64.

In fact, I cannot estimate at least roughly how much work it is.
But someone of you might.

Creating amd64 port of glibc might be as "easy" as create
x86_64 directory in glibc-kbsd-2.3/sysdeps/unix/bsd/bsd4.4/kfreebsd/
and create a few (but extra sophisticated) files
similar to neighbours in i386 and alpha directories.
Or not ...

The rest of bootstrap can be similar to bootstrap of kfreebsd-i386 from FreeBSD/i386.
Or easier, because it looks like amd64 kernel can with COMPAT_IA32 have i386 userspace.

Can I gently ask you for an opinion about this ?

Thank you very much

                        Petr