pppoe configuration

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Mon Oct 31 08:19:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 12:26:19AM -0200, theblues gnr wrote:

> I don't have both installed actually; I installed Debian first, then
> replaced with FreeBSD 6.0rc1 (to check if pppoe worked) and then back to
> Debian. I'll make a new install of FreeBSD and replace /boot/kernel/ with
> the one from Debian. I should probably use FreeBSD 5.4 instead of 6.0.

It's easier than that, you can just download all base.* from:

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.4-RELEASE/base

then concatenate them, and get a base.tgz.  Untar that, mount devfs, and that's
all.

> Also, something I forgot to mention (sorry); on Debian GNU/Linux I have to
> run "ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0" before "pon dsl-provider" to get networking,
> else it won't work; on FreeBSD 6.0rc1 I had to run "ifconfig rl0 0.0.0.0"
> before "ppp -ddial provider" for it to work. So I naturally did the same on
> Debian GNU/kFreeBSD (ifconfig rl0 0.0.0.0 before ppp -ddial provider).

We use the same ifconfig, but our version is a bit older.  Perhaps you could
try running ifconfig and/or ppp binaries from the FreeBSD tree _but_ without
using chroot (this should work since the shared libraries are in gnu/kfreebsd
too).

--
Robert Millan