pppoe configuration

theblues gnr thebluesgnr at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 31 02:26:19 UTC 2005

>From: Robert Millan <rmh at aybabtu.com>
>To: theblues gnr <thebluesgnr at hotmail.com>
>CC: Glibc/k*BSD <glibc-bsd-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>
>Subject: Re: pppoe configuration
>Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:55:14 +0100
>

>(please keep CC to the list)

Sorry about that, it was an accident. (I blame hotmail :)

>On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 03:12:02AM -0200, theblues gnr wrote:
> >
> > I did that, and I also added a echo "hello, im route" line below. I
>don't
> > see these messages printed on screen when I run ppp -ddial provider, I
>only
> > get warnings about netgraph.ko and ng_ether.ko being older than the
> > linker.hints file.
>
>Strange.  Perhaps the output is being redirected.  Could you try to put
>that
>output in a temporary file in /tmp?  E.g. echo "$@" > /tmp/args

I tried that, but it also didn't work (/tmp/args isn't created after running
ppp and ping).

>The warnings about kernel modules should be harmless, but you could still
>verify
>that they have been loaded with kldstat.

The modules were loaded.

>If none of this works, then I suggest you use chroot to get into a FreeBSD
>userland (after booting from Debian GNU/kFreeBSD) and try to setup ppp
>there.
>Then we'll know wether the problem is in kernel or userland.

I don't have both installed actually; I installed Debian first, then
replaced with FreeBSD 6.0rc1 (to check if pppoe worked) and then back to
Debian. I'll make a new install of FreeBSD and replace /boot/kernel/ with
the one from Debian. I should probably use FreeBSD 5.4 instead of 6.0.

Also, something I forgot to mention (sorry); on Debian GNU/Linux I have to
run "ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0" before "pon dsl-provider" to get networking,
else it won't work; on FreeBSD 6.0rc1 I had to run "ifconfig rl0 0.0.0.0"
before "ppp -ddial provider" for it to work. So I naturally did the same on
Debian GNU/kFreeBSD (ifconfig rl0 0.0.0.0 before ppp -ddial provider).

Thanks,