kfreebsd-amd64 ?

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Mon Oct 31 09:47:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 09:36:36AM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> Does glibc 2.3 support amd64?  Otherwise we'll have to work on updating glibc
> first.

Btw, what's the status of glibc 2.3.5 now?  IIRC, the problem was with threads.
Is it possible to build a thread-less libc only for testing purposes, currently?
[1].  Also, IIRC LinuxThreads are not supported on amd64, so if we're going into
that now we'll probably have to investigate into NPTL.  I think FreeBSD/amd64 is
capable of emulating GNU/Linux amd64 binaries, so kernel support for NPTL must
be present, even if it's only in the Linux ABI emulation (in which case it can
probably be moved into the core).

Aurelien, do you think we could "convert" your glibc-2.3.5.diff patch into a
separate sysdeps tree, like the one in trunk/glibc-2.3 ?  This way, even if the
threading is not usable, we could start to work on that.  There are many work
areas on glibc that are now "frozen": some simple bugfixes, the ET_DYN issue,
amd64 support...  Also, that could help to gather more motivation into glibc
work which is mostly stalled now.

[1]  For the record, since we've been on this previously:  A thread-less libc
can be used to build a complete environment when using libpth's pthread
emulation.  However, there's no way this is going to work in the long term as
it breaks lots of stuff (specialy in gnome/kde).  It does also break ABI (yes,
even in libc.so), but this is not a big deal for kfreebsd-amd64 yet.

--
Robert Millan