No Mouse in X and kbdcontrol package

Christopher Desjardins cddesjardins at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 17:39:50 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Robert Millan <rmh at aybabtu.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 06:00:02PM -0700, Christopher Desjardins wrote:
> > Hi,
> > When I log into X my mouse doesn't work.  When I try to run
> dpkg-reconfigure
> > xserver-xorg, I'm only presented with two options for a mouse
>
> If you have a touchpad, /dev/psm0 should be present.  Check if the node
> exists
> in /dev, otherwise check dmesg.  If all these fail, this isn't a problem
> we
> can't help on.  Either grab a USB mouse or report this problem to
> upstream.
> (or google for some info on your specific hardware and why it isn't
> supported by
> kFreeBSD).
>
> > /dev/cuaa0
> > (choosing this freezes my computer)
>
> This shouldn't happen unless you had mdetect installed.  Did you?

No I didn't install mdetect.  I just installed x-window-system-core, gdm,
and icewem.  When I run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg all I get are those
two mouse options.  I'll check dmesg and i'll look in /dev for /dev/psm(?)
when I get back home later today.  I did try appending xorg.conf and
changing /dev/sysmouse to /dev/psm but then X failed to start.

> Also, the kbdcontrol package will not install because it depends on
> keymaps.
> > Thanks and so far I'm quite impressed with the port!
>
> And keymaps?

When I try to install the kbdcontrol package it tells me it depends on
keymaps and it doesn't install.  I presume that I need the kbdcontrol
package for my keyboard?
Also when I try to install kfreebsd-config, it hangs when listening to my
ethernet connection after it says done.  I'll give you a more formal error
message later.

--
Robert Millan

Thanks for the help in advance,