[Gnome22-user] GNOME 2.2 Session Errors on Debian Woody

Michael G. Morey mmorey@optivel.com
Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:24:57 -0500

James Strandboge wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 16:31, Michael G. Morey wrote:
>

>>All,
>>
>>I'm running XFree86 4.3.0 (http://people.debian.org/~nobse/xfree86) on
>>Debian Woody, and I'm having a bit of difficulty starting a GNOME
>>session.
>>

>Do you get these errors after reboot?  How about under a new user?  If
>you tried to upgrade from gnome1.4 settings, that may be your problem.
>
>Also, check out:
>http://gnome22.alioth.debian.org/xfree86_43.html
>
>Though that page won't address your current problem.
>
>Jamie

Jamie,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I performed the upgrade in single-user
mode, and did reboot afterwards.  I have created a new user account, and
have tested using it.  The results were the same as for my existing
account.  I elected not to upgrade from GNOME 1.4 settings when
performing the upgrade.  I would appear to have the following installed:

--- working directory: /var/tmp/
% dpkg -l | egrep '(fontconfig|freetype|libxft2)'
ii  fontconfig     2.2.2-1.woody. generic font configuration library
ii  libfontconfig1 2.2.2-1.woody. generic font configuration library
(shared l
ii  libfreetype6   2.1.7-1.woody. FreeType 2 font engine, shared library
files
ii  libfreetype6-d 2.1.7-1.woody. FreeType 2 font engine, development files
ii  libxft2        2.1.2-5.woody. FreeType-based font drawing library for X

Done 16:23:15

I followed the instructions on

http://gnome22.alioth.debian.org/xfree86_43.html

and found that it was more trouble than it was worth.  I do appreciate
your suggestions, though.

Michael

--
Michael Morey