[Gnome22-user] Some GNOME 2.2 Icons Broken

James Strandboge jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:06:30 -0400

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 13:12, Ing. Ramiro Espinosa wrote:
> Are there any Gnome2.4 backport for Debian Stable to be released?

No.  Gnoppix made the decision to use xfree86 4.3 which is required by
gnome2.4 and greater for full functionality.  However, xfree86 4.3
requires freetype 2.1, which is not backward compatible with woody's
freetype 2.0.9, and cannot (at least I can't do it) be parallel
installed with woody's freetype.  The decision is ok for gnoppix because
they only supply a subset of woody packages.

However, my goals of the gnome2.2 (and would be for a gnome2.4) backport
is stability and to not break woody.  Therefore I have not backported
freetype 2.1, xfree86 4.3 and gnome2.4 to woody.

If someone can figure out a way to install freetype 2.1 into another
directory and get xfree86, gtk2, pango, fontconfig and xft2 (there are
also a few applications that link to it, but they are not core gnome) to
use it rather than woody's freetype-- I am willing to look at the work.
After a lot of effort, I successfully installed freetype 2.1 into a
separate directory, and then got fontconfig and xft2 to use it.  I also
got most of gtk2 to use it, but the build got confused (libtool is to
blame I believe), so I couldn't go farther.  Pango didn't work either.

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A