[Gnuk-users] Did I brick my fst-01?

micah micah at riseup.net
Thu Feb 5 15:25:41 UTC 2015

NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe at fsij.org> writes:

> How did you build the gnuk.bin?
>
> Most possible case would be some configuration error.  In Gnuk 1.0.x
> and 1.1.n (0 <= n <= 3), default target is Olimex STM32 H103.  You
> need to explicitly specify FST-01 for those versions.  Since Gnuk
> 1.1.4, its default is FST-01.

I forgot a detail that I have just remembered!

I was able to build and load 1.1.4 gnuk.bin via the USB method. Then I
went to test 4096 support, and I found there was only 2048R support. I
was confused about this because I thought that 1.1.4 provided 4096
support.

Then I re-read your email and found that there was a 4096 branch, and I
found that branch on git://git.gniibe.org/gnuk/gnuk.git (called
rsa_4096).

In the meantime, I had entered the wrong pin a few times and was locked
out, so I waited for the debugger to arrive from China and was planning
on loading the rsa_4096 branch built gnuk.bin to unbrick it and provide
4096 support.

When the STLink arrived, I followed the procedure I detailed in my
previous email and then loaded the gnuk.bin I built from that branch and
then it stopped working.

I have a friend who is also playing with this, and he also found that he
only got 2048R support with 1.1.4, so I told him about the rsa_4096
branch and after he loaded the gnuk.bin (using USB) his FST-01 also
became bricked, and now he is getting a debugger to try and solve it.

micah