[Gnuk-users] Did I brick my fst-01?

micah micah at riseup.net
Sat Feb 7 19:03:38 UTC 2015

Hello!

NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe at fsij.org> writes:

> Informational only:

Not just informational! I turns out to be critical.

> I noticed that the firmware version of your ST-Link/V2 is version 17,
> while mine is version 21.  But I don't think this is major problem,
> since you successfully accessed FST-01 twice (unprotect with -u, and
> writing new firmware).
>
> Unfortunately, both versions are non-free software.  The upgrade is
> available here.  It requires Windows to install:
>
>     http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF258194

Because other things weren't working, I took a lot of pain medication
and then went into Windows and ran the firmware update (after first
installing the driver).

Then I returned to the free state of Debian and did some tests with
stlink2.py -s, things looked good. So I unlocked the core, and I flashed
a version of the firmware that I know worked, and voilà it worked!

So the firmware of the stlink device is an important piece of the
puzzle!

micah