[Gnuk-users] porting GNUK to other MCUs

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Mon Jun 22 01:33:13 UTC 2015

On 06/22/2015 10:16 AM, Aurel wrote:
> From what I understood from reading about Cortex-M architecture,
> what works on a Cortex M3 should also easily work on an M4, even
> though it might not use all it's features, that's why I tried ...

Yes, I think so.   Basically, we need three things.

 (1) Porting board specific things: clock, LED, etc.
     This part would be easy, when you have a specification.

 (2) Porting Chopstx (the thread library) to Cortex-M4.
     This part would not be that hard, as you describe.

 (3) Porting MCU specific things: USB controller and ADC converter
     drivers.
     This part takes time to understand the MCU.

> Having GNUK working on more boards, even if not the recommended
> choice would help encourage it's use I think.

Yes, I agree.  Currently, Gnuk depends on a single semiconductor
vendor's supply.  That's not good thing.