[Gnuk-users] FST-01 is going to be non-reproducible any more

Yuji -UG- Imai ug at xcast.jp
Sun Jan 10 11:44:49 UTC 2016

Hi, Ndk.

NdK<ndk.clanbo at gmail.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','ndk.clanbo at gmail.com');>

> Moreover, using wireless would call for use of a battery, with a charger
> and other circuitry adding up to the cost (good quality batteries are
> quite hard to find... f.e. see PiJuice problems...) and to the size.

Exactly.

If I append one more point, as battery technologies are rapidly
improved now a days, it's seems difficult to find reproducible and
continuously surprised parts. That must make life of next FST design
shorter.

What I'd like most in the new FST (FST-02?) would be:
> - Javacard-like environment, to be able to develop applets (openPGP
> could be just one applet), even if single-applet-only

I don't know gniibe think about it but I like FST-01 because I feel the
policy
keeping it design simple. It must be good being reproducible, easy to check
soundness of design.

There already exist openPGP compatible applets on top of Java card.
I like another style of FST to show the reproducible reference way to
implement as simple as possible.

With same reason, I like the way gniibe is going to focus on ed25519
stopping
RSA features.

> - small (1.8") oled display and a couple of keys (ok/cancel), useable
> from applets

I like it.
But I have no good idea how we can find long-supported display device.
Key and SW look OK. :)

> - microsd support for storage

Once I considered to make other device using micro SD I/F. I gave up
the plan because it is necessary to sign contract of SD card assocoation.
I'm afraid it make open source hardware difficult to support SD mechanism
in concern with intelectual property issue.

> > We handled our PCs so roughly, we broke
> > snapping its joint points between board and connector. We want to prevent
> > from snapping to destroy our secrets keys. But we have no clear idea
> > to do.
> What about a simple USB male-to-female extension cable? I often use 'em
> for "valuable" devices, so I can reduce insertion cycles.

That is a exactly same way how "I" connect my FST-01 to my laptop. It works
excellent!
However I didn't recommed my friends. Gniibe noticed, current FST-01 was
not design
supporting with such extensions. There may be risk of side channel attack.
I have read
such notes somewhere in the document of FST-01, but now I can't remember
where.
Sorry.

As I recognize the risk, I accept it and use extension cable style.
But I cannot suggest other because I cannot explain the risk precisely
and convince friends.

Anyway, I agree with Ndk that extension cables are valuable to solve this
issue.

Yuji