[Gnuk-users] [GNUK] Allow only .bin files for regnual upgrade

Szczepan Zalega | Nitrokey szczepan at nitrokey.com
Mon Jan 2 18:17:36 UTC 2017

On 01/02/2017 06:54 PM, NdK wrote:
> Il 02/01/2017 18:51, Szczepan Zalega | Nitrokey ha scritto:
>
>> I would like to add patches that protects from upgrading the device with
>> file name other than suffixed with .bin through regnual. User might miss
>> information that .hex files for instance could not be used.
> IMVHO that patch will only make users *rename* the files.
> You should check the file format.

Hi Diego!

I agree that ultimate solution would be to recognize the format by
parsing input files. I am afraid though this will over-engineered, as
what we simply need is a barrier stopping from making 'stupid' errors
like wrong firmware format. Given that compilation results in both .hex
and .bin files one should not confuse them in case such a warning would
be shown. As a whole this should limit 'bricking' [1] incidents drastically.

Your reply given me an idea to extend the error message with 'Please
refer to upgrade manual'.

[1] Bricking as in making firmware update with regnual impossible

--
Best regards,
Szczepan