[Gnuk-users] Error changing the PIN: Conditions of use not satisfied

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at debian.org
Wed Sep 27 18:59:47 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-26, intrigeri wrote:
> Vagrant Cascadian:
>>   gpg/card> passwd
>>   gpg: OpenPGP card no. D276000124010200FFFE870238330000 detected
>>   Error changing the PIN: Conditions of use not satisfied
>
> I had exactly the same problem a month ago, and IIRC (not sure) I had
> to upload an encryption key to the device before I could change
> the PIN.

Thanks, that helped! I generated a dummy key I don't care about, and
then was able to change the pin, and set a reset pin as well.

Then I thought I would start to import the keys I actually want.... but
the pin doesn't actually work; any attempt to use it decrements the pin
retry counter.

Fortunately, I set a reset pin, and I can unblock using the reset pin
once the retry counter limit is blocked...

Does setting a reset pin disable adminless mode? Which pin does the pin
reset set (admin or ... regular/user)? Are there character restrictions
on pins, but it doesn't properly check them before changing the pin?

Seems so close, yet so far!

live well,
  vagrant