[Gnuk-users] reflash without working pin?

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at debian.org
Thu Sep 28 19:57:01 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-27, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> Then I thought I would start to import the keys I actually want.... but
> the pin doesn't actually work; any attempt to use it decrements the pin
> retry counter.

Correction, running gpg --card-edit, and then trying "verify" decrements
the pin counter. Attempting to load a key into it failed, but didn't
decrement the pin counter.

> Fortunately, I set a reset pin, and I can unblock using the reset pin
> once the retry counter limit is blocked...

I used upgrade_by_passwd.py to reflash it, which seemed to work with the
pin (even though the pin didn't work for anything else).

But now that I reflashed it, I changed the pin before setting a reset
pin, and the pin is now blocked, and as far as i can tell nothing
works... So I now have two seemingly bricked gnuk FST-01 devices... :(

I've so far used gnuk/tool/upgrade_by_passwd.py to flash when running
gnuk, and originally ran neug/tool/upgrade.py for the initial flashing,
but both apparently require an admin password, and I no longer have that.

Without a reset pin, admin pin, or user pin, how can I reflash the
firmware?

live well,
  vagrant