[Gnuk-users] Gnuk 1.2.6 / NeuG 1.0.6 / Chopstx 1.5 / Fraucheky 0.5

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Oct 12 16:16:50 UTC 2017

Hi gniibe--

On Thu 2017-10-12 17:18:33 +0900, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> * Run
>
> gnuk/src$ ./build/gnuk --vidpid=234b:0000
>

> * From another terminal, enabling USB emulation
>
> # modprove vhci_hcd

I'm pretty sure this is meant to be "modprobe", right?

> # usbip attach -r 127.0.0.1 -b 1-1

looks like this requires the "usbip" package on debian systems.

It would be great if this could use unix-domain sockets instead of a
direct IP connection, because that would allow specific users to offer a
virtualized device that couldn't be directly snooped by any local users
with packet-sniffing privileges.

> This release supports GNU/Linux emulation, so that a user can
> try Gnuk Token without real hardware.

This is a really great idea.  thanks for pushing it out!

I'd love it if we could make it even easier for people to adopt this
stuff and experiment by packaging it for debian.

Do you have any plans to package it for debian?  What steps do you think
would work in that direction?

I'm imagining something like:

 * package up chopstx to produce a static library (or set of static
   libraries, one per target arch).  This would make a debian
   architecture-independent package containing the static libs and any
   necessary header files?

 * package gnuk (build-depends on the chopstx package), which produces
   an architecture-independent package containing firmware images for
   the gnuk devices, and Recommends: the packages necessary for either
   USB emulation or for installation on actual hardware.

does this seem plausible?

     --dkg