[Gnuk-users] Gnuk 1.2.6 / NeuG 1.0.6 / Chopstx 1.5 / Fraucheky 0.5

Vagrant Cascadian vagrant at debian.org
Thu Oct 12 17:57:48 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-12, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I'd love it if we could make it even easier for people to adopt this
> stuff and experiment by packaging it for debian.
>
> Do you have any plans to package it for debian?  What steps do you think
> would work in that direction?

We had briefly talked about it at Debconf17...

If they were actually uploaded to debian, users could have a trust path
From debian, and we'd get reproducible builds testing out of the deal!
:)

> I'm imagining something like:
>
>  * package up chopstx to produce a static library (or set of static
>    libraries, one per target arch).  This would make a debian
>    architecture-independent package containing the static libs and any
>    necessary header files?
>
>  * package gnuk (build-depends on the chopstx package), which produces
>    an architecture-independent package containing firmware images for
>    the gnuk devices, and Recommends: the packages necessary for either
>    USB emulation or for installation on actual hardware.

That's actually how I built the firmware for my gnuk... so I already
have some rough packaging. The technical part was fairly straightforward
for a single platform; not sure how easy it would be to built for
multiple platforms.

I also found the regnual tool very helpful to switch from neug to gnuk,
as most FST-01 devices ship with neug.

live well,
  vagrant