[Gnuk-users] Factory-reset on Gnuk with blocked PIN

Alexander Paetzelt | Nitrokey alex at nitrokey.com
Thu Nov 2 12:13:10 UTC 2017

Thanks a lot for your response!

On 10/31/2017 01:15 AM, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> Alexander Paetzelt | Nitrokey <alex at nitrokey.com> wrote:
>> This is GnuPG 2.2 and Gnuk 1.2.3/1.2.4 (Nitrokey Start)
> Please ask Nitrokey about how the firmware was compiled.  As you looks
> related to the company, I assume it's easier.
>
> The option --enable-factory-reset is needed at configure time.

We use this option, yes.

> Also, please notify a responsible person in Nitrokey: Never use 1.2.2,
> 1.2.3, and 1.2.4 for factory-reset, its implementation is buggy.  I
> wonder why use those versions.

We'll fix this soon and try to use Gnuk 1.2.6 instead right now. Is this
okay? I am sorry for the communication issue. May I ask if there is a
kind of release plan? Which versions do you recommend to use? Only those
you mention here http://www.fsij.org/category/gnuk.html ?

> Yesterday, I just pushed my change to GnuPG:
>
>     https://dev.gnupg.org/rGd63b7966cdd72548c60466c620de5cd6104a779e
>
> And it will be into the release of GnuPG 2.2.2.
>
> It affects Gnuk 1.2.2, 1.2.3, and 1.2.4.  Since I never distributed my
> products with those versions, I decided to adopt the change after three
> months.
>
> It would be better, if I were informed, but it's done already.

We will keep you informed from now on.

I am not sure if I understood you right. From GnuPG 2.2.2 on, even Gnuk
1.2.2, 1.2.3. and 1.2.4 will be able to factory-reset with gpg command
or never at all? And Gnuk 1.2.5 and newer can be reset with use of older
GnuPG versions as well or only with GnuPG 2.2.2?