[Gnuk-users] secp256k1

NIIBE Yutaka gniibe at fsij.org
Thu Dec 4 07:41:11 UTC 2014

Now, I'm using gnupg 2.1.0-1 (experimental) on my notebook computer.

On 12/04/2014 01:38 PM, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> For SEC P256K1, I don't know.

Today, I tried to generate new key with secp256k1 on that computer,
but I realized that libgcrypt 1.6.2 (and its package on Debian,
1.6.2-4) doesn't have secp256k1 support, which I added:

http://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=libgcrypt.git;a=commit;h=019e0e9e8c77a2edf283745e05e9301673ea6a0a

http://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=libgcrypt.git;a=commit;h=49edeebb43174865cf4fa2c170a42a8e4274c4f0

I don't know if it's worth to backport these changes to 1.6.x.

Well, let me explain my intent in the beginning of 2014.

This January, my friend suggested me using Bitcoin with Gnuk, and I
thought it would be good idea.  He sent me in Bitcoin as payment of
FST-01 with NeuG.  So, I had a little incentive. :-)

Then, I implemented secp256k1 curve support both in Gnuk and
GnuPG/libgcrypt (of master branch).  My plan was using Gnuk with some
Bitcoin client (candidate was Electrum).

But I didn't proceed to modify Electrum because doing anything around
Bitcoin sounds pretty bad in Japan after Mt. Gox.

I don't have any plan to resume Bitcoin related development of mine
now, but if there is some demands, I'll backport the changes to
libgcrypt 1.6.x.