[gopher] Proposal for a gopher++ TITLE resource

Nuno J. Silva nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt
Fri Apr 9 23:25:00 UTC 2010

Kim Holviala <kim at holviala.com> writes:

> A proposal for a method to include titles in gopher++ menus
[...]
> 3. Conforming client requirements
>
> Conforming clients will use the first info resource with the word
> "TITLE" in the selector as the title of the menu. All following TITLE
> resources should be ignored.
>
> Non-conforming clients will see a normal info resource and present it
> as normal informational text. This provides near-perfect backwards
> compatibility.
[...]
> 6. Example code
>
> The Gophernicus Server version 0.5-beta (and later) automatically
> inserts TITLE resources for all menus where a gophermap doesn't
> exist. There is also a patch for the NSCA Mosaic 2.7ck8 gopher client
> which adds support for parsing & rendering the TITLE resources.
>
> gopher://gophernicus.org/1/software/gophernicus/server/
> gopher://gophernicus.org/1/software/patches/gopher++/

I'm attaching a patch for lynx 2.8.7 which, if the first item in the
menu is a TITLE info selector, uses its text as the menu title.

(Looking for TITLE on other lines looks harder - lynx generates html as
it reads the menu, so using *any* TITLE 'i' selector will require
caching the entire document body so the header can be written last.)

It is working with your (gophernicus.org) server, and works as expected
in servers which don't provide TITLEs.