[gopher] Gophernicus Server 0.6 released

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Mon Apr 12 04:04:18 UTC 2010

On 2010-04-12 05:40, Mike Hebel wrote:

> Since I'm not completely set up under pygopherd I could easily be
> convinced to switch. Will Gophernicus Server build on NetBSD Sparc64? Or
> is that something I need to test and let _you_ know about? ;-)

(I teach AIX courses for living so I'm allowed to say this :-D )

If it works on AIX it works on *ANYTHING*. Seriously, you can't find a
more fucked up Unix than AIX. And since I've already tested x86_64,
POWER3, POWER4 and ARMv5 I'm pretty sure it works on Sparc64 too.

Hmm, maybe I'll fire up one of the sparcs in the trash pile today to
find out? Hee hee.... Actually, I was planning on testing with IRIX/mips
this week so I might as well install NetBSD somewhere and test with it too.

Yes, my employer lets me do cool stuff when I don't have customer things
or courses going on.

> I'm assuming since you're using C it's faster and lighter than something
> like pygopherd?

Faster and much lighter yes, but the feature sets differ. You just have
to pick the one with features that you need - pygoperd didn't suit my
needs (and neither did any other existing server) so I made my own.

The features I wanted that others I could find didn't:

* Full UTF-8 support with optional downconversion to US-ASCII
* Full IPv6 support
* Full CGI support
* Written in C  (I despise perl/python daemons)

Of course, most people would say that since Gophernicus is written in C
it must be full of buffer overflows :-) but I don't think that's the
case. It's got integrated strlcpy() from OpenBSD and I think Theo knows
his stuff.

- Kim