[gopher] Proxy support for OverbiteFF

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Tue Jul 6 12:51:44 UTC 2010

> Since the days of official Gopher support in Firefox are
> numbered, I gave OverbiteFF a try. A great plug-in, thanks a
> lot!
>
> At the company, Port 70 is firewalled though. Until now,
> I just used an ssh tunnel via my
> proxy at home to access Gopher which worked fine. It looks to me
> that OverbiteFF is not yet able to use a Proxy though. It is
> just timeing out.
>
> Sadly I'm no programmer and not able to help out with code, but
> I'd really like to see Proxy support in OverbiteFF. Of course
> I'm more than willing to help testing.

It does support SOCKS proxies -- I know because I tested it with one locally
and that much works. I need to verify if that also works with Firefox 4.0
beta, but I don't believe that code was changed. It does work with 3.6.

Unfortunately it does not work with HTTP proxies because Firefox never
tunnels the connection under HTTP, I believe. It would require the proxy
to support the CONNECT method in any case and many of them do not.

-- Seen on hand dryer: "Push button for a message from your congressman." -----