[gopher] OverbiteFF 2.0

Cato Auestad bleakgadfly at fsfe.org
Thu Jul 8 19:03:37 UTC 2010

This is reply doesn't really have anything to do with the current upgrades,
but do you think it is possible to implement a function in OverBite that
turns "gopher://" into statically linked adresses in Firefox? When I see the
link to the screenshot in Gmail in Firefox, the "gopher.floodgap.com" adress
is linked, but it is to a WWW server, not a gopher, and the "gopher://" part
becomes just unlinked text. It would be nice to be able to just click the
link and automatically go to "gopher://<link>" just like "http://" or
"ftp://"

Cato.

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 7:13 AM, Cameron Kaiser <spectre at floodgap.com> wrote:

> Firefox 4.0 beta 1 came out today earlier than I had anticipated, so I am
> speedily running through updates to OverbiteFF. A couple niggling bugs have
> been fixed, which was assisted by dropping Mozilla 1.8 support as some of
> those kludges were the cause. I have also created a new, more attractive
> base
> skin.
>
> The biggest change will be inline content. You can still navigate through a
> menu the way you always did, but certain item types will be
> preview-enabled.
> The best way is a screenshot:
>
>        gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/p/obff2.png
>
> Notice that 0 and h have a +/- collapser next to them. When opened, a
> scrollframe appears with the text in it so you can read the file without
> even leaving the menu. I also have this enabled for images, so that images
> can be viewed right there (and if the image is too wide for the window, it
> is automatically scaled to fit). If you click on the filename, you get
> the file, just like usual.
>
> Comments? I hope to have this ready for 4.0 as quickly as possible since
> this is now the only way to get gopher in Firefox going forward.
>
> --

Cato Auestad
bleakgadfly
www.fsf.org / www.fsfe.org / www.gnu.org

"Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build
your own, and let it grow, be like Emacs. Empty
your mind, be formless, shapeless - like Emacs.
If you put Emacs in a cup it becomes the cup, if
you put into a bottle it becomes the bottle. You
put Emacs into a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now, Emacs can flow or it can crash. Be Emacs, my friend"