[gopher] Thimbl: social networking for Finger?

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Mon Oct 11 02:57:19 UTC 2010

> > hehe good old finger, morris worm used that as one of its attck vectors,
> > and it was a long standing security hole on amigaos and amitcp, in its
> > early versions.
> > Kinda doubt many would be willing run that service this days, on the
>
> [kimmy at x301 ~]$ finger kim at holviala.com
> Login: kimmy                            Name: Kim Holviala
> Directory: /home/kimmy                  Shell: /bin/bash
>
> On since Mon Oct 11  5:48:02 2010 (EEST) from
> 2001:1bc8:101:fb10:224:7eff:fe15:74c7 (on 2 ttys)
> No unread mail.
>

> I've had a finger server for maybe five years now with no problems
> whatsoever. I even had twitter integrated with my .plan for a few months
> (until I realized what a waste twitter really is).

I'm a bit of a Twitter addict myself (see TTYtter, but that's a whole
other story).

I run a finger server on my main host (finger, for example,
ckaiser at floodgap.com). It's mostly just for yuks.

Like I say, though, this is something a gopher server could eat for
breakfast.

-- A service of the Department of the Redundancy Department service. ----------