[gopher] luakit web-browser and gopher

Peter Tynan happy at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Dec 6 13:05:37 UTC 2012

I found  that recently I've been  using the luakit web-browser  a lot,
it's one  of those "lightweight"  keyboard driven types  but unusually
not totally mouse hostile. Despite having never messed with lua before
I started  to think  it might be  nice if it  could do  something with
gopher links - a sort of overbite for luakit...

Sometime later and I've got this far

--------------------
-- Gopher handler --
--------------------

webview.init_funcs.gopher_hook = function (view, w)
    local uri = w.view.hovered_uri
      if string.match(string.lower(uri), "gopher.floodgap.com") thn
      else
      if string.match(string.lower(uri), "gopher:") then
        local gopher = "http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?a=" .. uri
        uri = (string.format(gopher))
        w:navigate(string.format(gopher))
        return false
     end
     end
 end)
end

With the above  code in my userconf.lua direct gopher  links will open
using the floodgap proxy providing I open the link in the same tab (it
all goes a bit odd if one tries to  open a gopher link in a new tab or
window). This works well enough for me  - but I'm sure a luahead could
do much better.

NB: Cameron Kaiser,  sorry about  all the malformed  requests floodgap
was getting the other week when I was working on this.

Peter

(\___/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

Alte Amplius et Sine Ratione
gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/1/users/happy/