[gopher] Updated Gopher RFC

Damien Carol damien.carol at gmail.com
Wed May 9 18:30:53 UTC 2012

It's becoming my proposal :

  *Old one*

*My Proposal*

*Name*

*Description*

1

MENU

Menu

0

TEXT

Small text file, render directly in browser in easy way

3

3

ERROR

Tell client that result is KO

7

7

INDEX / PROGRAMS

You now it

9

9

BINARY

Binary, generic one

5

5

ARCHIVE

Binary but check it as ARCHIVE (zip, rar, etc…)

g, P, I

Image File

Binary but check it as IMAGE (JPG, GIF, BMP, etc…)

;

Video File

Binary but check it as VIDEO (AVI, MKV, etc….)

Audio File

Binary but check it as AUDIO (WAV, mp3, etc…)

Document Text File

Binary but check it as TEXT (Plain, Word, ODF, etc…)

EXTERNAL URL

Check the selector for "URL:"

With this table the client can easily manage type and everything is simple.

2012/5/9 Cameron Kaiser <spectre at floodgap.com>

> > I think instead of adding more types, we could remove types and
> > simplify.  The would be:
> >
> >   * Plain text (ASCII or UTF-8)
> >   * Binary data
> >   * HTML text (ASCII or UTF-8)
> >   * gopher directory
> >   * info pseudo-type
> >   * Media
> >
> > The "media" type would simply be binary data with a hint to the UI to
> > attempt to display it based on its extension.
>
> I'd rather still keep the division into sound, movies and images,
> especially
> since menus don't communicate resource size, and it gives the user on a
> slow connection and/or slow computer something to expect.
>
> --

Damien CAROL
gopher://dams.zapto.org/1/