[gopher] New gopher proposal

Christoph Lohmann 20h at r-36.net
Sun May 13 12:09:00 UTC 2012

Greetings.

I  have  extended  my proposal for a new gopher protocol to meet some of
the features of HTTP and what people requested.

http://sprunge.us/IAeI

This  is  getting close to be just some HTTP replacement, but it doesn’t
include full MIME, uncertain parsing  requirements  and  uncertain  size
constraints.

One thing it tries to clear up, is how to determine the file type, which
is now too much automagic. Filetypes aren’t  reliable,  but  MIME  types
aren’t reliable too.

Any thoughts on this?

I am still working on this proposal, because it’s an interesting idea to
clean HTTP and Gopher up  to  have  the  benefit  of  both  worlds.  The
caps.txt  approach etc. are ways to preserve history. Since the proposal
is forcing TLS on a different port, both world could exist  without  in‐
terference.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann