[gopher] Gopher server running on ARM?

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Wed Sep 5 06:08:32 UTC 2012

Damn! Nokia's N9 only does top-posting. *shame*

Dotnet applications will run on ARM without modifications, while C/C++ apps only need an recompile. So there's no reason for the app shortage, it's just that developers (paid ones) are lazy... they released on "working" binary, why should they ever release another? The money is coming in, so why bother?

- Kim

On 5.9.2012 0:31 Oliver Cromm wrote:
* Kim Holviala:

>>> I've been running Gophernicus on my ARM boards with no problems. It's
>>> very memory-efficient which is good for small boards with little memory.
>>
>> Out of curiousity I built geomyidae on a RaspberryPi (ARM) running Debian;
>> seems to run fine
>
> I would say that any properly coded Gopher daemon (for Unix) runs on the
> tiny embedded boards. The CPU is largely irrelevant when you're coding
> in higher-level language (including "C").

Then I'm surprised to hear again and again that it will take a
long time until we have a good choice of apps for Windows/ARM or
Intel-based tablets.

--
*Multitasking* /v./ Screwing up several things at once