[gopher] dust off your SGI workstations

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Sun Mar 3 18:04:51 UTC 2013

> > > Bah - I sold my 600MHz R7k O2 a few years ago.... oh so beautiful, but
> > > also pretty useless (since it didn't even work with IRIX that well).
> >
> > Really? What was the issue with it?
> >
> > I just have a little 150MHz R4400 Indy, and Irix 6.5.mumble isn't too bad on
> > it. It's not snappy, but it's hardly unusable.
> >
> > I'm thinking about getting an O2 or a Fuel. I'd love a Tezro, but I'm just
> > not THAT into it.
>
> It was just so picky about *everything*. Only certain (freaking loud) SCSI
> drives would work, couldn't install IRIX with that CPU - had to install with
> my 200MHz R5k, upgrade IRIX and the swap CPUs. Which was dangerous because
> the whole thing would break if i looked it the wrong way....

How bizarre. Though I do hear that the O2s aren't so good with the plastics.
Maybe I'll just get a Fuel.

> So, I sold it... Kinda regret it because it was just SO damn beautiful.
>
> Also... IRIX just plain sucks , from an AIX point of view :-D

I certainly prefer AIX as an enterprise Unix, but then, I was a sysadmin
for 3.2.5 and 4.1 in my previous career, so I'm accustomed to it. :)

-- Our policy is, when in doubt, do the right thing. -- R. L. Ash -------------