[gopher] dust off your SGI workstations

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Sun Mar 3 18:12:10 UTC 2013

On Mar 3, 2013, at 20:04, Cameron Kaiser <spectre at floodgap.com> wrote:

[SGI O2]
>> It was just so picky about *everything*. Only certain (freaking loud) SCSI
>> drives would work, couldn't install IRIX with that CPU - had to install with
>> my 200MHz R5k, upgrade IRIX and the swap CPUs. Which was dangerous because
>> the whole thing would break if i looked it the wrong way....
>
> How bizarre. Though I do hear that the O2s aren't so good with the plastics.
> Maybe I'll just get a Fuel.

I had a Fuel too, and that was just SO much better. O2 had terrible plastics - i once dropped the cdrom faceplate 30cm down to a table and it broke down. Also the electronics were horrible, the whole machine just barely works...

Fuel, however, is pretty much IBM quality - built like a tank and worked wonderfully.

>> Also... IRIX just plain sucks , from an AIX point of view :-D
>
> I certainly prefer AIX as an enterprise Unix, but then, I was a sysadmin
> for 3.2.5 and 4.1 in my previous career, so I'm accustomed to it. :)

I trained all kinds of AIX courses up until last year :-D.

Of course, "If you can, do, if you can't, teach. If you can't teach, consult"

Yeah, I did consulting too....

- Kim