[gopher] Gopher+ support in the community

Kevin Veroneau kevin at veroneau.net
Thu Apr 23 05:03:23 UTC 2015

Okay, so like I said, here's my initial release of a Gopher client for the
*NIX console:

gopher://gopher.veroneau.net/0library/gopher.py

It uses an updated version of my gopherlib.py library found here:
gopher://gopher.veroneau.net/0library/gopherlib.py

To get it up and running, you will need to grab yourself a copy of npyscreen,
either via pip or just download it manually.

It currently doesn't support every standard Gopher type, but all the basics
are there and were tested, namely i, 0, 1, and of course 7.  I will add the
other gopher types as I continue working on it.  Feel free to contribute if
you wish as well.

There is currently no address entry function, and it will bring you to floodgap
by default.  However, feel free to change the initial server within the code
itself.  Proper address entry via a dialog box, and via the command line will
be added very soon.

You can access the menu by press Ctrl-X, there you can return to the root of
the current server, or exit the application itself.

Future versions when other Gopher types are supported will introduce a
preferences form, where you can select external applications to launch for
specific gopher types, such as one to display images, or an external HTTP
browser for HTTP links.  HTML will be supported in 2 ways, one being a
html2text translation, or the ability to launch an external browser with
gopher support.