[gopher] Adding TLS and/or SSL support to Gopher

Kevin Veroneau kevin at veroneau.net
Thu Apr 23 22:08:26 UTC 2015

I can help out with creating a client and server proxy for this.  However I'm not sure how this will work.  Here are my key concerns:

The Gopher protocol doesn't natively support proxy servers.  So, connecting to localhost can only tunnel to a single remote gopher server...
Rewritting of gopher menus to change both the host and port will also be needed.

As a result, I don't think creating a TLS proxy would be feasible, let alone tunneling through an SSH or SSL tunnel.

The major issue with the gopher protocol is it's menus provide a host and port.  While this is also a huge benefit to the protocol, it's also a hurdle when it comes to proxying the protocol itself.  Thankfully the menus are easily parsable.