[gopher] Question

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Wed Feb 11 22:02:59 UTC 2015

No, you are wrong, HTTP does not provide you with a standardized directory view. FTP and Gopher both provide ANY client a directory tree with files that is simple to browse (although it can be argued whether FTP has any actual standard for directory structures). HTTP has nothing like this - it will never provide you a list of files, just HTML pages (which may or may not look like a directory listing).

Of course WebDAV changes all that providing proper dir/file structure over HTTP in a way which is better than either FTP or Gopher. But no one ever exposes WebDAV to all clients, even anonymous.

- Kim