[gopher] Question

Kevin Veroneau kevin at veroneau.net
Wed Feb 11 22:14:38 UTC 2015

I agree that these directory listings don't officially have a standardization.  However, most such directory views I do come across are hosted on Apache, making that sort of a defacto standard in my books.  The difference here between say FTP/Gopher is that not all servers offer a directory view and the server still prefers to give the client index.html if it exists.

With that said, using an HTML parser and a server that does offer directory views, it'd be rather trivial to parse all the A elements to say render a Gopher menu.

Gopher is much more structured than either HTTP or FTP when it comes to how directories are fed to the client, and there's actually a standard and RFC involved.

I'd be interested in making a gopher HTTP gateway/proxy to show how HTTP can be fully rendered in Gopherspace.  I'd do a Debian mirror, as they provide directory views over HTTP.