[gopher] GopherMole - a gopher media crawler

Mateusz Viste mateusz at viste.fr
Thu Jan 1 16:00:01 UTC 2015

Hello list,

Here's a quick update on GopherMole - I worked on it since my last post,
and made a few improvements:

  - a 'statistics' page, where one can see some interesting numbers
  - support for PDF documents (although sadly, not many PDF files in the
gopherspace contain proper metadata to identify them)
  - random searches (as in "give me 10 random mp3 files")

   gopher://gopher.viste.fr/1/gophermole/

Interesting fact: my spider arrived to the end of the visible
gopherspace, and found out there are 43'575 menus out there, spread over
134 servers. These are definitely not very high numbers.

I'm curious to know whether the spider missed any servers - the full
list is available on gophermole (in the "statistics" menu). If you are a
gopher server owner, and see your server is not listed, I'd be happy to
know about it!

cheers,
Mateusz