[gopher] RFC submission?

Mateusz Viste mateusz at viste.fr
Fri Jan 2 07:59:16 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Here is my personal opinion about this (and it's likely yo be my last
message on this topic).
I took a quick glance at the piratepad.net/gopher document, and I
honestly think that it is a) unnecessary and b) quite messy.

a) unnecessary - because I believe that the gopher protocol is very fine
as it is, and needs no 'improvements'. It's cool, mostly because it's
dead simple. Would it become any more convoluted, I'd loose interest in
it. There is maybe one or two things that could be nice to have in
gopher, but these doesn't require any protocol change (example: 'by
default' usage of UTF-8 across the gopherspace).

b) quite messy - the document mixes protocol aspects (gopher+ like
stuff), with client-side pseudo algorithms, with suggestions about how a
server should be built, and probably other stuff as well (I stopped
reading at half of the document). An RFC shall describe one thing, and
do it precisely. The document on piratepad.net looks more like a bag of
wishes. Also, it describes the usage of some xml-like tags in gopher
(title), which by itself, is a heresy to me. But anyway, even if said
document had any resemblance to a serious RFC, I doubt it would be worth
using IETF's valuable time on this.

To sum up: I think that gopher is mostly fine as it is in it's current
(RFC 1436) state, with the exception of a few very minor details, that
IMO do not call for an RFC update anyway. I do not say that the said
document is worthless - it does address a few good points, but I'd
better see this incorporated into an updated gopher FAQ, rather than an
actual RFC.

Mateusz