[gopher] RFC submission?

Nuno Silva nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt
Sat Jan 3 09:14:26 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-03 18:15, James Mills wrote:

> My 2c worth would be that:
>
> a) We use UTF-8 across all of Gopherspace
>
> and
>
> b) We actually simplify the protocol and even remove some item types that
> make little to no sense. (e.g: Just one image itemtype)
[...]

I'd say that

a) We have no way to convert all the gopherspace to utf8, assuming utf8
in some clients will probably break compatibility with older gopherholes
or older content. Perhaps some clients could implement some kind of
content sniffing to tell utf8 apart from ISO8859-*. But, as utf8 is
quite new compared to gopher, I'm not sure it is even a good idea to use
utf8 (although I do use it myself): wouldn't it break older clients as
well?

b) Same as above, I don't think it's a good idea to force people to
upgrade their gopherholes so that their content is still accessible
using newer clients.

Just one image itemtype makes no sense, as there are different image
formats.

--
Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
Helsinki, Finland